Search This Blog

Monday, September 26, 2011

Interview with our Executive Head Chef Reuben Grixti

How and why did you choose to become a chef?
I could always envisage myself to be an expertise of the culinary arts. My uncle and granddad were both chefs and always gave me a fair amount of encouragement in order to pursue my dream. Helping my mother with the dinner preparations was an activity I always looked forward to, so it didn’t come as a surprise when I decided to follow my passion and act on my dream.

Is the Maltese culture reflected in your cooking?
Whilst establishing a menu, I always incorporate dishes which are time consuming and not very convenient to cook at home, such as local fish. I utilize seasonal and traditional ingredients in order to accent the dish according to the on-going trend. At Le Méridien St Julians Hotel & Spa we strive in producing traditional intellectual nourishment adding a contemporary twist.


What do the Maltese people look for in food? Is that different from cooking abroad?
Maltese people seek for variety in food, the deprivation of excitement when experiencing a restaurant for a first time is a sensation they’d want to encounter over and over again. Cooking overseas is comparable to local cuisine: variety is the fundamental base. Mediterranean and Ethnic cuisines are habitual to the Maltese islands and other nations alike.

What do you want to achieve with your cooking?
 My aim is to amaze the gastronome; rendering flavors which are not expected. My aspiration is to travel to India or similar Asian countries in order to practice Asian cooking techniques, hence, implement them in my cooking. Furthering my knowledge will represent my ability to exceed my guests’ expectations.

What inspires you in your cooking?
I’m proud to say that, my mother’s scrumptious recipes, such as her home-made lasagna, have always provided the much necessarily needed inspiration. When it comes to top-notch cuisine she will always be unbeatable cook.

Where do you buy your products and do you use any organic products?
I make use of fresh seasonal products, if possible; local seasonal fish, seasonal fruits and vegetables alike. For healthier menus, organic products are implemented.

What is your biggest challenge in your job?
Challenges are constantly arising in my job. My brigade is a very essential tool in my line of work, and so reinforcing their happiness and motivation levels high, lead to better team work. However my biggest challenge is to bring about the creative flavors in my mind and implement them to the menu.

No comments: